Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A little inspiration

While looking for photos to accompany my blog posts, I realized that there are a ton of websites to help new vegetarians.  I have no idea why I haven't tapped into this resource earlier.  It really shows me how many other people in the world have cut out meat and other animal products.  Here are a few inspiring quotes I found:


 

“I quit eating beef when I was about thirteen. I kind of phased everything out, so it took a few years actually. I do it because I really love animals.
 ~Carrie Underwood, Singer-songwriter, Vegetarian




To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body.

~ Mahatma Gandhi, Indian social and spiritual leader, 1869 - 1948

Additionally, I discovered tips and fun ideas for socializing.  VegCooking writes, "If you’re going to be having a meal with family or friends who eat meat, discuss the menu ahead of time. Offer to make a vegetarian dish or two for everyone to try."  Why didn't I think of that when it was time for that jambalaya dinner?  Brilliant!  Many foods are vegetarian or vegan without even "trying."  I also found a website that lists all kinds of accidentally vegan foods



I see that each experiment may feel most difficult during week number three.  When I used to swim competitively, the 3rd lap of a 4-lap (100 yards) race was always the toughest.  The beginning is exciting; during second lap you still have energy, third lap is the hardest to maintain; and the fourth lap is a final burst of willpower.  I made most of my vegetarian slip-ups during the third week.  This is good to note for my upcoming experiments.  I now know that I should look for extra support and resources during the third week, in whatever form that make take.  Maybe one form of strength is knowing how to address our weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment