Friday, February 26, 2010

I'm Not Buying It!

This week I started reading the book, Not Buying It, by Judith Levine.  It documents her year-long experiment concerning shopping.  She and her partner decide to buy nothing except the essentials.  They outlaw high-end products, entertainment costs, etc.  I'm eager to read more about their growth, learning and experiences.


It also makes me wonder what in my life I don't want to "buy" anymore.  I'm tired of buying...
  • my unhealthy habits like drinking wine until my throat is sore.
  • excuses from the man in my life who won't (can't?) dive into our relationship.
  • my overreactions.
I am interested in buying more...
  • honesty about how I really feel.
  • my supportive family.
  • my yoga practice.
  • my new challenge of National Boards.
  • my finacial security. 
In order to keep choosing this new financial stability, I have to say no to other things, like new clothes or frivolous entertainment costs. This month's experiment helps me see what I really need in my life even beyond objects.
Even if my situation looked like this:

Or even this:


I would still need to decide what is important to me and what makes me truly happy everyday instead of frustrated, unhealthy or confused.  What are you not buying anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment