Saturday, May 25, 2013

Permission to Party

Today is Day 27 of the Alcohol-Free experiment.  It has been surprisingly easy for me to resist.  I was around alcohol last night, and the thing that struck me most was the smell.  We all know that tequila has a potent smell, but it felt like I walked into a tequila cloud when I entered the kitchen.  It had never smelled that strong to me before.  Yes, it was a little enticing because I love margaritas.  But on the other hand, it made me reconsider what that fiery liquid would do inside my body.  I opted for a cranberry and soda with a big squeeze of lime.  Just having something in my hand helps me feel like I still get to participate and be social.

It's true that a lot of the silly stories and crazy adventures from the past include alcohol.  And that's OK.  It's funny to remember back on the times when we let our guard down and just let loose.  Now I'm practicing how to relax and do that without the alcohol.  My boyfriend can tell you that I sometimes don't know how to relax.  I'll buzz around the house cleaning, doing laundry, making calls, cooking food when I could just sit down and hang out.  As I mentioned in my last post, I'm ready for a party, and I'm giving myself permission to party without the alcohol.  Permission granted!

Here are the other ways I'm allowing myself to relax and unwind:
1. baths with Epsom salts and a magazine (favorites: Real Simple and the Oprah Magazine)
2. reading and eating popcorn in bed (so naughty)
3. meditation
4. exercising in the gym in my building
5. going out to eat with friends (on deck this week: Plum)
6. buying flowers at the farmers market with Kevin
7. getting vegan ice cream and sitting at the park (favorites: coconut chocolate chunk from Molly Moon's and sorbet at Cupcake Royale)
8. watching New Girl, Mindy Project and Million Dollar Listing (look who has a TV now!)
9. going to the movies
10. walking around my beautiful city (I love you, Seattle!)

As I cruise through the last few days of this experiment, I'm feeling grateful for this opportunity to reconnect with myself and cut through the haze.  Have you ever tried giving up alcohol?  What worked for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment