Friday, May 31, 2013

I Did It!

The Alcohol-Free experiment is complete.  I made it 31 days without a drop of alcohol.  I'm feeling a mix of pride, contentment and surprise.  I knew that I could do it, but I'm astonished that it actually wasn't that hard.  The month went by fast, and I have even gone a few extra dry days.  Tonight I'm planning to enjoy a glass of wine at dinner with friends.  That one glass will now be it's own mini-experiment since my system is clean.  It's funny how any sort of deprivation makes the next bite or sip of that item absolutely heavenly.  I came across this same idea recently in a captivating book called Wild.  The author, Cheryl Strayed, decided to hike the Pacific Coast Trail alone for months.  In her case, she has limited access to basic necessities like water and food.  It's fascinating to watch her experience unfold.  In a way, the hike is her own type of experiment.  At this point in my reading, she is killing it.  I'm rooting for her as she battles her demons and conquers this gruelling challenge.  Like Cheryl, I'm realizing that we can surprise ourselves with our own capabilities... if only we take the chance and dive in.  Ready, GO!




No comments:

Post a Comment