Monday, May 31, 2010

Allergy Confessions

Since starting my Experiments with Truth, I've noticed an interesting phenomenon. When I explain my monthly challenge to friends and acquaintances, they open up about their own personal challenges with food, allergies, lifestyle habits or addictions. For example, one friend told me all about his history with stomach aches and fatigue. It turns out he is allergic to gluten and yeast. Many people live with undiagnosed cases of food allergies that cause all kinds of annoying and inconvenient symptoms. This friend said, "It (eating gluten free) has affected my life for the better, but it is a pain in the ass!!! I love to eat and now I have to plan out (my meals) in advance."  Some of his favorite foods include corn tacos, stir fry, pho', breakfast foods, steak chicken and pork.

At that same wedding last weekend, I saw a friend from college that I hadn't seen for years.  She is vibrant and glowing in a healthy way I had never seen.  It turns out that when I knew her in college, she was living with an undiagnosed food allergy.  Her body has a hard time processing the skins of most fruits and vegetables.  She told me that she never really felt like herself during the majority of college.  She gained weight and credited it to the "freshman 15," however the real culprit was a digestive allergy.  When her doctors finally figured out the problem, it seems like her whole life changed.  I was thrilled to tell her how healthy and alive she looks now!

My gluten-free co-experimenter, Maria, and I went back to Flying Apron Bakery this week for some filling and delicious treats.  Immediately, I noticed a change in her.  Her skin was glowing!  She normally suffers from mild acne, but that day her skin was clear and beautiful.  She and I were both happy to report more regular digestion and less bloating in these first couple weeks of the experiment.  We shared tips and meals that have been working for us.  She raved about her green breakfast smoothie and shared this recipe from the famous Dr. Oz.

This "green drink" is high in fiber, low-calorie and rich in vitamins.
Ingredients
2 cups spinach
2 cups cucumber
1 head of celery
1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root
1 bunch parsley
2 apples
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a blender. This makes approximately 28-30 ounces, or 3-4 servings.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment