Monday, May 24, 2010

Sent to bed without dinner

I'm still getting the hang of this.  Apparently eating gluten-free sometimes means not eating what's offered.  At a friend's wedding this weekend, the combo of sun, not eating and cocktail hour equalled an early bedtime for me.  I woke up at 4:39am to realize in horror that I missed the majority of the wedding reception including most of dinner and the dancing.  My body needs more fuel and more sustenance.  By passing up the bready, pastry appetizers, I ended up consuming more champagne than actual food. 


Luckily a caring friend walked me back to my room and put me safely to bed before any embarrassing events occurred.  I thought I was being responsible by eating a big gluten-free meal before the wedding.  That same caring friend is allergic to dairy, so she has been trained to eat her own safe food before weddings.  Together, with our real and imagined allergies, we chowed down on big plates of brown rice and veggies minus the teriyaki sauce (contains soy sauce).  Apparently, that wasn't enough to counteract my enthusiastic drinking.

I want to learn from this experience.  Eliminating gluten from my diet changes how my body reacts to substances like alcohol.  I have to be careful as my own experiment specimen.  I am attending another wedding this Saturday, so I will use that opportunity as my own personal "re-do" and take proactive steps to stay healthy and thrive gluten-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment