Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Month 4: No High Heels

From April 12- May 11th, I will be sporting only flat shoes.  This may sound trivial, but I'm curious to see how this small change affects my life.  As a woman, high heels are a symbol of femininity, elegance and sex appeal.  To "lower myself" to flats will take away one aspect of being a woman.

I suspect that this month I will question aspects of gender identity and expression.  There are so many ways to be a woman, I'm eager to explore my own constructs.

My first challenge will be this Friday.  I'm celebrating my birthday at a Moroccan restaurant with friends and then going out dancing.  Birthdays and other special events usually require high heeled shoes.  By dressing up with heels, a woman can communicate that the event is important enough to suffer a little discomfort...it matters enough to her to look good.

In English, we use all kinds of language that demonstrates the importance of height and stature.  For example:
  • Dress up
  • Rise to the occasion
  • Keep your head up
  • Things are looking up
  • Up the food chain
  • Up the corporate ladder
  • A head above the rest
The list can go on and on.  I know that height is an important issue for men and within the dating world.  This month, I'd like to see how much height and heels really matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment