Thursday, December 9, 2010

Neti pot

Do you like sticking things up your nose?  Do you enjoy clear breathing passages?  Well then the Neti Pot is for you!  I started using the little blue pot and salt packets a few months ago in hopes of relieving my stuffy nose and respitory congestion. 

It was rough going at first, but now I have the technique down.  The trick is to tilt your head to the side so that the warm salt water can run up one nostril and out the other.  You must breathe through your mouth while this "nasal irrigation" occurs.  When you blow your nose afterwards, things clear out and positive results are instantaneous.  Sometimes, however, your nasal passages can be so severly blocked that no water will flow, and then you're out of luck until a later time when water can flow. 

The Neti Pot is an Ayurvedic remedy that was recommended by my Western and Eastern doctors.  Not many natural techniques have been embraced so universally.  Many ear, nose, and throat surgeons recommend nasal irrigation with a Neti pot or other method for their patients who've undergone sinus surgery, to clear away crusting in the nasal passages. Many patients with sinus symptoms from bacterial infections, allergies, and environmental irritants also have begun to regularly use the Neti pot or other nasal irrigation devices, claiming that these devices alleviate congestion, facial pain and pressure, and reduce the need for antibiotics and nasal sprays. Research backs up these claims, finding that nasal irrigation can be an effective way to relieve sinus symptoms when used along with standard sinus treatments. http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-9/neti-pots

Recently I heard that a behavior becomes a habit after 21 days. I've incorporated the Neti Pot in my morning routine before my shower. It only takes a few minutes now that I've mastered the technique.  I'm hoping to make many Ayurvedic practices part of my normal routine and enhance my health overall.





No comments:

Post a Comment