Sunday, December 5, 2010

Conscious Social Eating

This week I've really been thinking about eating with awareness.  Since I live alone, it is easy to sit at my table, enjoy my meal and relax for a few minutes like the guidelines suggest.  However, I often eat with friends or in social environments.  For example, yesterday when the Huskies crushed the baby Cougs (Go Dawgs!) I munched on game snacks like cheese, veggies and dip, crackers, chips, etc.  When the food doesn't take the shape of a meal (i.e. single portion on a plate), it's hard to gauge how much to eat.  Additionally, when it's displayed and out for hours at a time, grazing becomes the norm.  It's hard to be aware of every bite in that environment.

Also this week, I attended an incredible event called the Tom Douglas Cookbook Social at the Palace Ballroom.  That evening was heaven.  Local authors came together to create delicious samples from their cookbooks.  My friend, Kiara, and I savored the fried chicken with champagne, dungeness crab bites with avocado and other tasty treats.  A few minutes into the event, after sipping pumpkin soup and tempeh with pineapple, she wondered if she was full or not.  Sometimes it's hard to tell.  The Ayurveda guideline of eating until 2/3 full can be tricky when you can't feel your stomach signals in a fun and festive environment.

A huge highlight of the Cookbook Social was meeting Shauna, the Gluten-Free Girl.  During my gluten-free month, I ate up her book and even emailed her to tell her how much I loved it.  At that time I received an automatic message that she was unable to respond to all of her messages.  Sad face.  However, meeting her in person was inspiring and exciting.  I was able to taste her food from her new cookbook, Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef.  It definitely felt like a celebrity sighting.


As I plunge into the holidays and eating at social gatherings, I am going to try to stay aware and stay conscious in order to move forward with this ayurveda month.  No matter what happens, I know I love food, love my body and want to enjoy the best that this season has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment